With potential benefits in pain relief, recovery and mood enhancement, ice tubs – cold therapy or cold water immersion rituals – have become very popular amongst wellness professionals, athletes and enthusiasts. It is very important to inculcate this practice with understanding, caution and respect for the body’s boundaries – safety – in mind.
This is a comprehensive guide to ensure that cold therapies are safe and beneficial.
Below are precautions and guidelines:
- Start Gradually: Prolonged exposure to cold can lead to hypothermia. For beginners, it is important to start slow, short durations gradually increasing exposure over time. Don’t set time limits, rather build up on time and durations as the body gets used to ice tubs or cold therapy. Rome was not built in a day!
- Optimal Temperature: It is a known fact that body systems differ so to balance safety and therapeutic benefits, it comes duly recommended that a range of 50 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit is advised for cold therapies, bearing in mind that the ideal temperature may vary amongst individuals.
- Health Precautions: Consult your doctor or medical professional if you have medical conditions, cuts or infections before indulging in cold therapy.
- Be Alert: On no account should you be alone during an ice tubs or the ice tubs be left unattended. In case of emergency or unforeseen circumstances, professionals should always be on standby to provide assistance.
- Recognize Your Limits: It is of utmost importance to exit the ice tubs and warm up immediately once you start experiencing numbness, discomfort or any alarming symptoms. Listen to your body, it speaks volumes.
- Beneficial But Not Always Suitable: Before integrating ice tubs or cold water immersion rituals into your daily routine, seek the counsel of a doctor or healthcare practitioner. With their guidance, weigh the benefits and risks of cold therapy as it is not necessarily the best solution for everyone even though ice tubs offer recovery benefits, mood enhancements and mental lucidity.
Should you follow the above-mentioned guidelines and precautions, your ice tubs experience will be safe and effective. Ice tubs can offer various benefits, however, they should be approach with caution.